Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Summer: Skirt Season


 

I love the ease and comfort of wearing skirts especially on the hot, humid days of summer. After several outings to find skirts in the stores I was disappointed with what I found. The styles, not mine. The fabric, so thin and polyester, in the summer time?! The price tag for some of these things that looked like they had been worn for years and then pressed with a steam roller used for paving streets. Unhappy with this, I decided to brush up my nearly non-existent garment sewing skills. I have no formal training in sewing at all.

My first attempt at sewing went like this:
18 years ago at the house of a friend who sewed all the costumes for her daughters dance recitals. I arrive with pattern, fabric, and machine in hand. She instructs me to put the pattern on the fabric, her phone rings and she goes to answer it, leaving me on my own. I pull out the pattern and see that it must be placed on the fold, I fold the fabric. After 45 minutes of trying to get the pattern to fit on the fabric with no luck, I interrupt her phone call in frustration, I demand she get off the phone and help me! She hangs up, comes into the room where I'd been working and tells me you have to cut the pattern pieces out first. I told her thanks for letting me know that an hour ago!! That dress became part of  my first quilt featured here. I didn't sew anything again until my first quilt.

Here's how I began this project:
I listed all the pattern choices and then listed fabric by yardage for which pattern it may be used. My fabric cards worked great for this. Learn about those here. I've now picked my fabric and am ready to attempt this on my own. Wish me luck and check back to see how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Post a comment or just say Hi! Got a question? I may have an answer.