Monday, August 13, 2012

Pancake Practice

Pancakes are one of my favorite weekend breakfast meals. But they haven't been an easy culinary creation for me to master.




I can remember once when I was little, around age 10 or so, my younger sister and I wanted to fix breakfast for our parents. We decided pancakes would be on the menu. We mixed a huge batch of batter from scratch. As we began cooking them our parents came out of their room and my sister sat them down at the table and she returned to the kitchen to help finish the cooking. When we had cooked what seemed like 2 dozen pancakes we proudly presented them to our parents, placing a mountain of pancakes on each of their plates. We were so proud of our big as dinner plate pancakes. We all slathered them with lots of butter and poured on the syrup. It was time to dig in, YUM! As our parents cut into their stacks, uncooked batter began to run down to the plate. We all had a good laugh and Momma had to cook breakfast anyway.

My next attempt at mastering pancakes was in junior high Home Economics class(Home Ec, HA, now that's another story). They came out so tough and rubbery. I remember the teacher getting on to me about stirring them to much.


When I married and tried to make them, they came out so dense. Which in a way is a good thing for a new wife who doesn't know how to cook. They stayed with you ALL day. No need to cook any more that day. Not that you could do much to expend any energy anyway after that breakfast.

Alas, I did not give up. Over the years I have learned a lumpy batter is wonderful for pancakes but not gravy. Also, poke a hole in the bottom of the pancake to be sure it's done.



Pancakes                                            
1 cup AP flour
2 TB sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 TB Shedd’s spread, melted
1 large egg
1/8 tsp vanilla
  Mix your wet ingredients in one bowl and dry in another. Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir just enough to moisten. Don’t over mix.
Coat hot griddle with butter. With ¼ cup measure pour batter onto hot griddle on hot griddle (325-350 degrees) .  Cook until bubbles form and start to pop and glossy sheen begins to disappear, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until bottom is golden brown, another 2-3 minutes.  Makes 6-8 pancakes.

Pour on your choice of syrup or honey and enjoy!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading. Post a comment or just say Hi! Got a question? I may have an answer.