Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reading Moods




I have reading moods, sometimes I can read several books at once and finish them in a timely manner. Other times it takes me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get through even the shortest of books.

I'm sure everyone has their own guidelines by which they choose books. Mine are pretty simple, keep it clean in language and situation. I don't mind a few mild expletives, as far as adult situations, suggest it, leave most of it to the imagination. Isn't that part of what reading is about, using your imagination? 

Due to following the crowd on book choices in the past, I usually don't rush to read books that are hyped by the general public. I have found my taste in books (and movies for that matter) does not usually coincide with the general consensus. That being said, I will give most any book a chance.


I read The Hunger Games on the recommendation of my 11 year-old niece. The book began as a very slow read for me. It took me nearly three months to finish. Probably because I wasn't in a very strong reading mood and aversion to the hype. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Not long into the book, I was reminded of the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. 


The Hunger Games is a story of young teens living in a world of have's and have-not's under strict class regulations enforced by the Capitol. There is a lot of killing and a love triangle building with some kissing appropriate to the situation. I never expected the love story angle as I began reading. Everyone has an opinion about what is appropriate for what age group to read, in my opinion, I did not feel it was appropriate for an 11 year-old. I would recommend it to the 14+ age group. I actually liked this book and to keep up with my niece, who has finished the series, I'm on to book two, Catching Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Post a comment or just say Hi! Got a question? I may have an answer.