Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tool Talk: Ironing Board

Isn't she a beaut?

If you would have told me back in the day I would get excited over an ironing board I probably would have looked at you like I had just seen a leprechaun riding a unicorn floating down the river on the back of the Loch Ness Monster, it could never happen! My idea of ironing in those days was to put the shirt between the cushions of the sofa and sit on them a day or so and the wrinkles would work themselves out. My how things change!


When I was a little girl, to earn money, my aunt would "hire" me to iron her wash clothes and hand towels, a nickel for a wash cloth and a dime for a hand towel. This is my earliest memory of ironing. Then the teen years came, a job, and the ironing pile. And what do most teen girls spend their paychecks on? Yes, clothes. I can remember the very first thing I purchased with my very first pay check, a hot pink jogging suit (yes, they were all the rage in my teen years, a real fashion statement, not just lounge wear) and a denim jacket. Until then my mother did all the ironing (and everything else), ergo the birth of the ironing pile and my sofa philosophy.

But today, I am so excited about my new, extra wide ironing board. A must have for any quilter! On my old board I'd have to move a fat quarter three times to get it all ironed. On my new board I just move it once to finish the less than two inches that overhang. Not only a wider surface, but check out the iron resting spot and the rack underneath to hold things. Nice! So nice in fact I may have to tackle that ironing pile I have had sitting in my laundry room for the past two years. Not a big one, just a couple shirts. These days I buy wrinkle free to reserve my ironing time for my fabric stash.

So I say goodbye to my old ironing board; thank you for all the years of service, I'll miss your lovely graphic and the screechy sound you make when opening and closing, it's been great having you around but now you have got to go!

Goodbye, old friend.

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh because I have had the same cover on my board for about twenty years. I ironed my fusible interfacing to it so I had to go buy a new one. When I put it on, number one it fit way better then the old one, number two it has way better padding than the old one and last it is way prettier than the old one. Now I wonder why I waited so long to replace the thing. The new one only cost five dollars for crying out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Post a comment or just say Hi! Got a question? I may have an answer.